The Viva Center was founded by Julie Lopez, PhD, LICSW, in 2010. An adult adoptee with extensive work in the trauma field, Dr. Julie saw firsthand how many people went through life feeling alone, ashamed, or even hopeless because of common mental health concerns. She knew she needed to create a safe, healing space where people could learn that their feelings were totally normal—and that they had the innate power to heal.
Over the years, more and more clinicians came to Viva, united by the desire to end the stigma against mental illness and to promote happiness and health across DC. They saw the powerful ripple effect of healing; as one client improved, they passed that healing on to the people around them. Because of this, we truly believe that helping others with their emotional health is the key to saving the world.
In 2018, we launched our comprehensive library of free mental health resources, the Resilient Brain Project (RBP). We are constantly updating RBP with podcasts, playlists, research, apps, worksheets, and more. Our hope is to make mental health tools accessible to everyone, no matter their age, location, or income.
Our Core Beliefs
- You have the power to heal
- The health of your mind and body are completely connected
- You deserve advanced, evidence-based treatment
- Different people have different therapeutic needs and strengths. Whether you’re someone who enjoys expressing yourself creatively, connecting with your body, practicing mindfulness, or participating in brain-based therapies that require little conversation, you can heal.
- Band-aids aren’t enough. You want treatment that resolves your issues, not just their symptoms
- We’re here to help and support you on your journey.
Each of our therapists is trauma-informed with experience not only in talk-therapy, but in brain and body-based approaches like EMDR, Neurofeedback, Brainspotting, Trauma-Informed Yoga, and and more. They come from diverse backgrounds, with experience in emergency rooms, art studios, law offices, and crisis centers. Two things they have in common: they love to learn, and they love to support people as they heal.
All of our therapists are fully licensed and receive regular, ongoing supervision and training to ensure that they provide you with the best possible care.