Why Invest in Therapy?
Therapy can be an important investment in your well-being. Research shows that it is an incredibly useful and effective tool for helping people manage life challenges, and many find it worthwhile even if they don’t have a diagnosed mental health issue. (Chorpita et al., 2011; Smith, Glass, & Miller, 1980; Wampold, 2001).
At Viva, our licensed clinicians have extensive post-graduate training in trauma-informed care and brain-based therapies. We understand the powerful impact that past experiences can have on our relationships with ourselves, others, and the world.
The qualifications of our team make us exceptionally equipped in helping you to reach your goals, including:
- Deep commitment to providing empathetic, trauma-informed therapy: our therapists will work with you to create a plan that fits your unique needs and preferences.
- Educated to guide you to a deeper understanding of your thoughts and behaviors: behavioral therapies focus on identifying and changing unhealthy thoughts and behaviors, while psychodynamic therapy sheds light on how they began.
- Go beyond traditional talk therapy: sometimes, talk therapy isn’t enough. Our evidence-based brain therapies offer new paths towards healing, which include EMDR and Brainspotting. Expressive therapies, such as art and music can also be facilitated by our clinicians.
- Trained to help develop awareness of your body: somatic, sensorimotor, and yogic approaches tune into your physical experience to promote mind-body wellness.
- Skilled in mindfulness: a tool that increases our awareness of our emotional, cognitive, and physical experiences.
Does My Insurance Cover Therapy At Viva?
In Versus Out-of-Network
At the Viva Center, all of our providers are out-of-network. That means that our clinicians do not interact with any insurance providers.
A therapist who works in-network has a contract with your insurance company to accept certain discounted rates. However, insurance companies will often reimburse a client directly for out-of-network therapy costs. For more guidance on this process, feel free to use our insurance submission checklist.
In Washington, DC, most clinicians with advanced training are out-of-network, as the low payments received as an in-network provider rarely cover the expenses of high-quality training.
What About My Insurance?
Over 95% of our clients obtain out-of-network reimbursement for a portion of their costs. We encourage all of our clients to contact their insurance company to verify if their plan offers out-of-network benefits for outpatient mental health (sometimes called behavioral health).
The questions below can be used when speaking with an insurance agent to help estimate how much your insurance company may reimburse you for Viva services. If out-of-network benefits are available, you can ask:
- How do I submit claims?
- Do I have a deductible?
- What is the deductible?
- Is there a maximum number of visits per year?
- What percent of reimbursement is covered under my benefit?
- If no reimbursement, can I set up a “single-case agreement”?
- What is the out-of-network reimbursement rate for the various procedure codes below? 90832 (individual 30-minute psychotherapy), 90834 (individual 45-minute psychotherapy), 90837 (individual 60 plus minutes psychotherapy)
- Is authorization required? If yes, how do I obtain authorization?
If there are no out-of-network benefits, and you have determined that there are no in-network provider options or the in-network options do not provide the modalities (i.e. EMDR) that you desire, ask your insurance provider about a “single case agreement.”
For more guidance on this process, feel free to use our insurance submission checklist.
Our rates are based on a system where our more experienced clinicians have higher rates commensurate with their market value. The following represent costs for a 45-minute session.
In addition, we provide Couples Therapy and Reiki, with rates that vary based on clinician.
How Does Payment Work?
We accept credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express), personal checks, and/or cash. Payment is collected on a monthly basis. Prior to your first session, we will collect your credit card information through our secure electronic medical record system and store it for billing purposes.
All clients receive two copies of their monthly statement – the first statement sent on the 1st of the new month outlines the balance owed and the second statement sent on the 8th outlines a 0$ balance (which you can then submit to your insurance provider).
Our clinicians are trained to answer any questions you may have about the information you need to successfully navigate the reimbursement process with your insurance provider. Should you have further questions about billing and reimbursement, please contact our billing department at (202) 265-1000 x 3.
What If I Can’t Afford Weekly Visits?
You may choose to go with an in-network provider in order to reduce costs. If so, we recommend asking the following questions of your new provider:
- What sort of training do you have in ____?
- What is your professional history with ____?
- Do you belong to any professional organizations or societies related to ____?
One way to reduce spending is to seek biweekly therapy, rather than weekly treatments. This way, you can still gain the benefits of therapy while lowering the total monthly bill. While results may be slower, the goals of therapy can still be achieved. You may discuss this option with a clinician during your initial session to determine whether it is viable.
Other people elect to access online mental health programs that teach them solutions for improved emotional health at a fraction of the cost of in-person sessions. Our free, online mental health hub, The Resilient Brain Project, houses myriad podcasts, meditations, tools, articles, and other resources for those looking for tools.
Please Note: The Viva Center is an out of network provider with a fully transparent fee structure so there are no surprises in billing. Viva Center clients receive good faith estimates of length of treatment on our financial agreement document and verbally upon request at any time.