Wow, this summer has been a hot and sunny one! I hope everyone has had the opportunity to enjoy the sunshine, fresh air, and time outside. I know I look forward to my daily lunch breaks on the benches in Dupont Circle.
The awesome part about the great outdoors is that nature positively impacts our emotional health. Did you know that:
- Nature helps our body recover from stress? Nature increases activation of the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Lakes and trees improve your attention when you’re tired? Nature is considered a restorative environment.
- Natural environments improve mood? The more beautiful the environmet is viewed, the more mood improves.
On top of the benefits of simply being outside, when you add exercise to your experience, the benefits you receive multiply. While exercising outside, you burn more calories, breathe better air, and increase your vitamin D levels. Additionally, if you’re looking for an exceptionally superb workout, exercising outdoors proves to be more strenuous and motivates you to exercise for longer. It is so important to maintain our physical wellness and exercising outside is the perfect way to do so.
The Viva Center is excited to embrace the wonderful benefits of the great outdoors by hosting our first annual Yoga in the Circle. Yoga is GREAT for your brain and health. It boosts your GABA levels which results in better moods and less anxiety. Daily practice of yoga and yoga-like relaxation techniques can impact your brain functions and lower anxiety, fatigue, and depression.
Even more specifically, yoga is awesome to practice outside. Yoga Journal discovered three ways that the outdoors enhances your yoga practices.
- Spending time in nature can replenish your energy levels.
- The natural scenery of being outside can heighten your awareness in your practice.
- Stepping outside of your comfort zone to practice yoga in a new place can be beneficial and build confidence.
With one month of summer left, I hope you enjoy the sunny days outside. Join us on August 6th at 9 am to continue your yoga practice at Yoga In The Circle. For more information please click here.